Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tomi Jane's Civil War Gown

My Molly is modeling another beautiful creation by Tomi Jane. Here's her original description:
Here is an 1860s era gown made with a Civil War reproduction cotton in pretty floral print. I have hand crocheted a collar of ivory cotton to give the dress a period look, it is hand stitched to the bodice. The dress has dropped shoulders, a full skirt, and a coordinating placket and cuffs. There is much trimming with a brown rick rack, including along the two growth tucks, the waistline, and to accentuate the shoulder lines. Eleven tiny brown buttons line up along the center placket. The back is fastened with small buttons and hand-worked button loops. This dress was made before I purchased a serger, so the interior seams are finished with a zigzag.








Here are more examples direct from Tomi Jane's portfolio.


What a rich and beautiful fabric choice! This is complicated pattern that TomiJane has executed flawlessly.


This is hands down my favorite Tomi Jane outfit because it's so eye-catching. The black chevrons and the lace trim contrast perfectly with the shimmery sage duiponi. It looks so authentic that I can imagine a life-size re-enactor walking around in this gown.


A creative use of American Girl's Addy tartan pattern. I was never a fan of the pattern until I saw TomiJane's interpretation of it. I've always seen it created with plaid tartan fabric, so this is such a refreshing Civil War look. The use of lace is so delicate and lovely. The black and blue complement each other and the choice of fabric makes it look so lux. I can imagine many little girls during the Civil War wearing this outfit. The laced gloves are a great detail!

2 comments:

  1. Every one of these dresses are gorgeous!!! I would love to see a close-up of those handmade buttom loops on the top dress. I can't believe there is a handmade crocheted collar on the dress too. Everyone is just awesome. I'm so jealous!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mimi - you are so sweet!

    Tomi Jane

    ReplyDelete